Evan H. Stein
Evan Stein maintains a broad-based commercial litigation practice, drawing on his extensive exposure to both trial and appellate matters in federal courts. Before joining HSG, he served as a law clerk to the Honorable Timothy M. Tymkovich of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit and the Honorable Michael W. Fitzgerald of the United States District Court for the Central District of California. While at Stanford Law School, where he served as an editor of the Stanford Law Review, he argued an appeal before the Ninth Circuit through his work on the Environmental Law Clinic. He also argued an appeal before the California Court of Appeal (Third District).
- Valassis, a MacAndrews & Forbes company, as plaintiff in litigation against News Corp. and its subsidiaries alleging federal and state antitrust violations, unfair competition, and tortious interference.
- One of the world’s most pre-eminent law firms and two of its partners, in their defense of high-profile malpractice claims and related litigation.
- Caterpillar, Inc., in a successful appeal in New York’s First Department from an adverse verdict in asbestos litigation. Vacating the verdict and dismissing the complaint against Caterpillar, the First Department refined the law of specific causation in asbestos cases, holding that it is insufficient to measure exposure to the products of a group of defendants because of the degree of exposure must be proven from the defendant’s products specifically.
- Trustees in RMBS putback litigation in New York state court.
- Briefed and argued a petition for habeas corpus on behalf of a New York State inmate in the Southern District of New York.
News and Writings
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg, Brennan Center for Justice, and Cato Institute Submit Amicus Brief in Criminal Procedure Case Before New York’s Highest Court12.11.2018
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg Files Amicus Brief in Eighth Amendment Case Questioning Civil Asset Forfeiture by States and Localities09.14.2018
- Hon. Timothy M. Tymkovich, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 2015 – 2016
- Hon. Michael W. Fitzgerald, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, 2016 – 2017
Stanford Law School (J.D., 2015; Senior Online Editor, Stanford Law Review, First-Year Editor, Stanford Journal of Civil Rights and Civil Liberties)
University of California, Berkeley (B.A., summa cum laude, 2011)
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York