Ivo Entchev has a broad civil litigation and arbitration practice encompassing complex commercial disputes, international arbitration, and intellectual property litigation.
Ivo has represented investors, insurers, and trustees in multibillion-dollar lawsuits accusing several major U.S. banks of malfeasance in connection with their securitization and marketing of residential mortgage loans. He has represented foreign investors in arbitration disputes under international investment treaties and patent holders in infringement actions pertaining to core Internet and telecommunication technologies. Ivo has assisted media clients on a range of freedom of the press, defamation, and intellectual property issues, including during pre-publication review of reporting and in court proceedings challenging state-imposed restrictions on speech. His pro bono practice includes a co-counsel partnership with the American Civil Liberties Union.
Ivo is licensed to practice law in Canada and is president of the Canadian American Bar Association. He is trained in the common and civil law traditions. Following law school, he clerked for the Honorable Justice Marshall Rothstein of the Supreme Court of Canada, the nation’s highest court.
Prior to joining Holwell Shuster & Goldberg, Ivo was a litigation associate at Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP.
- Of counsel to intervenor Canadian American Bar Association before the Supreme Court of Canada in Frank v. Attorney General of Canada, a case involving Canadian expatriates' right to vote in domestic elections.
- A coalition of media, social media, and creative funding internet companies (as U.S. coordinating counsel) in connection with an intervention before the Supreme Court of Canada contesting a worldwide injunction granted against Google Inc. by a Canadian court.
- NXP B.V. and NXP Semiconductors USA, Inc. before the International Trade Commission in a patent infringement action involving near field communication technology.
- Collineo Asset Management, GMBH in a breach of contract action under New York law.
- Monoline insurer MBIA Insurance Corp. in litigation against Bank of America Corp. for fraud and breach of contract relating to the securitization and marketing of residential mortgage loans.
- Investor Allstate Insurance Corp. in litigation against Countrywide Financial Corp. for fraud relating to the securitization and marketing of residential mortgage loans.
- UK-based mining company in an ICSID bilateral investment treaty arbitration against the Republic of Indonesia in relation to a mining concession.
- Soverain Software LLC in litigation against Victoria’s Secret Direct Brand Management LLC and Avon Products Inc. for violation of patents pertaining to the “electronic shopping cart.”
- Toronto Star newspaper in an appeal before the Supreme Court of Canada seeking recognition of a due diligence defense to defamation claims for journalists and newsgatherers under Canadian law.
News and Writings
- Ivo Entchev Co-Authored an Article for The Globe and Mail on Google’s Appeal of a Worldwide Injunction Against it to the Supreme Court of Canada12.11.2016
- Ivo Entchev Discusses His Involvement in a Voting Rights Appeal Before the Supreme Court of Canada with Forbes11.04.2016
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg and ACLU File Discrimination Charges Against Frontier Airlines on Behalf of Female Pilots05.10.2016
- International Bar Association Published Ivo Entchev and Daniel Madison's Article Entitled "International Arbitral Tribunal Rejects Indonesia's Jurisdictional Objections and Agrees to Hear Foreign Investors' Claims"03.2015
- “International Arbitral Tribunal Rejects Indonesia's Jurisdictional Objections and Agrees To Hear Foreign Investors' Claims,” IBA Arbitration Newsletter (Co-authored with Daniel Madison) (March 2015)
- “State Incapacity and Sovereign Immunity in International Arbitration,” (2014) 26 SAcLJ 942 Special Issue (Co-author) (Conflict of Laws in Arbitration)
- Hon. Marshall Rothstein, Supreme Court of Canada, 2009 – 2010
New York University School of Law (LL.M., Vanderbilt Scholar, 2011)
McGill University Faculty of Law (LL.B./B.C.L., highest distinction, 2008; Editor, McGill Law Journal)
University of Toronto (B.A., Philosophy and Economics, 2004)
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York