Lani Perlman represents corporate, financial, and individual clients in complex commercial disputes, particularly those regarding commercial contracts, complicated financial instruments, and intellectual property. Her past litigation engagements cover a wide range of subject matters, including issues relating to securities fraud, corporate governance, employment discrimination, general contract disputes, copyright, trademark, trade dress, and false advertising. In addition to her experience in state and federal court, Lani has participated in FINRA arbitrations and AAA/ICDR arbitrations. Lani played a key role in prosecuting a breach of contract action brought by owners of a prominent New York City restaurant against its management company.
Lani was recently recognized as one of Super Lawyers’ Top Women Attorneys in the New York Metro Area and has been recognized as a Rising Star since 2014. She is an active member of the Federal Bar Council Inn of Court, and recently served as Judge Reena Raggi’s Team Liaison. Lani is also a member of the Federal Bar Council and its Second Circuit Courts Committee.
Prior to joining Holwell Shuster & Goldberg, Lani was an associate at Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP and clerked for Judge Brian M. Cogan in the Eastern District of New York.
- Trustees and other interested parties in residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) repurchase litigations.
- The makers of extremely popular fashion boots in federal trademark and trade dress litigations.
- A prominent patent group licensor in AAA/ICDR arbitrations against licensees for breach of the patent license agreement. Successfully defended a $19 million arbitration award in favor of the licensor in New York State Supreme Court.
- Pro bono representation of a former president of the board of directors of a New York City non-profit organization in a state investigation.
- Pro bono representation of Richard D. DiGuglielmo, Jr. in a successive habeas corpus petition in the Second Circuit, following the reinstatement of a previously vacated murder conviction, and clemency petition.
- Pro bono representation, in partnership with the American Civil Liberties Union, of employees seeking workplace accommodations related to pregnancy.
- Manufacturer in products liability cases alleging a novel theory of asbestos exposure via plaintiffs’ use of body talcum powder products.
- Boutique investment bank in a $4.5 million breach of contract suit against a privately held hospitality company in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- A U.S. hedge fund against a limited partner investor alleging that the public offering of a fund investment vehicle breached the fund governing documents and the hedge fund’s fiduciary duties as general partner in Delaware Court of Chancery.
News and Writings
- Profiles in Diversity Journal Names Hannah Sholl and Lani Perlman to its 2017 “Women Worth Watching” List06.14.2017
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg and ACLU File Discrimination Charges Against Frontier Airlines on Behalf of Female Flight Attendants05.16.2017
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg and ACLU File Discrimination Charges Against Frontier Airlines on Behalf of Female Pilots05.10.2016
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers “Top Women Attorneys in the New York Metro Area”03.22.2015
- “Guarding the Government’s Coffers: The Need for Competition Requirements to Safeguard Federal Government Procurement,” Fordham Law Review (75 Fordham L. Rev. 3187) (May 2007)
- Hon. Brian M. Cogan, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 2009 – 2010
Fordham University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2008; Order of the Coif; Notes and Articles Editor, Fordham Law Review)
Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism (M.S., 2005)
University of Chicago (A.B., Philosophy, with honors, 2002)
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York