Timothy W. Grinsell
Tim Grinsell’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation. His past engagements have covered a wide range of subject matter, including insurance, securities, contracts, employment, civil rights, and campaign finance issues.
Before entering private practice, Tim served as a law clerk to the Honorable Larry R. Hicks of the United States District Court for the District of Nevada. He joined Holwell Shuster & Goldberg from O’Melveny & Myers LLP, where he was a litigation associate.
Tim holds a Ph. D. in linguistics, and he has taught and written on applications of linguistics within the law.
- Affiliates of the government-owned investment fund AIMCo, and Wells Fargo Bank, A., as securities intermediary, in a litigation arising out cost of insurance rate increases on universal life insurance policies.
- S. Bank and Wilmington Trust as trustees in trial relating to RMBS putback claims involving hundreds of trusts in the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy.
- Democratic Party of Wisconsin in litigation against Wisconsin State Legislators seeking to over-turn lame-duck legislation.
- Runoff Insurer in successfully dismissing bankruptcy of former New Orleans insulation manufacturer resulting from asbestos-related liabilities.
News and Writings
- “Semantic Indecision,” in Vagueness and Rationality in Language Use and Cognition (2019)
- “Changing Tides: Legalizing Surrogacy in New York,” New York Law Journal (2016)
- “The Best of All Possible Congresses,” The New Rambler Review (2015)
- Hon. Larry R. Hicks, U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada
University of Chicago Law School (J.D., with honors; University of Chicago Law Review; Joseph E. Green Scholarship Recipient; Kirkland & Ellis Scholar; Semifinalist, Hinton Moot Court Competition)
University of Chicago (Ph.D., Linguistics)
Carnegie Mellon University (M.S., Program in Logic and Computation)
Dartmouth College (B.A., Cognitive Science and Russian Language and Literature, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa)
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York