Vincent Levy represents individuals and corporations in complex-commercial disputes, bankruptcy-related litigation, class actions, derivative suits, shareholder demands, and investigatory and regulatory matters, often in cases involving large and high-profile transactions. He was named to Benchmark Litigation's 2017 Under 40 Hot List and has been recognized as a Rising Star by New York Metro Super Lawyers since 2015. In 2017, the New York Law Journal named him a Rising Star.
Vincent has experience advising clients facing or pursuing litigation under, among others, federal securities laws and regulations, antitrust law, state and federal administrative law, state corporate law, state contract and tort law, public and private international law, the Bankruptcy Code, and the Securities Investor Protection Act of 1970. He has defended public companies and their directors in multi-forum shareholder litigation alleging breaches of fiduciary duty, securities fraud, and other matters in both state and federal court. In addition, Vincent has significant experience with complex settlements, including negotiating multi-party settlements with private persons and governmental entities, participating in mediated settlement discussions, and litigating contested settlements subject to court approval.
Vincent served as a law clerk to Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg of the U.S. Supreme Court and to then-Chief Judge Douglas H. Ginsburg of the D.C. Circuit. Before joining Holwell Shuster & Goldberg, Vincent was a litigation associate at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz. He received his law degree from Columbia Law School where he was awarded the John Ordronaux Prize for the highest grade-point average in his graduating class. He has also studied and taught mathematical economics at the London School of Economics.
- Served as a law clerk to Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg of the U.S. Supreme Court
- Named a 2017 New York Law Journal Rising Star
- Recognized on Benchmark Litigation's 2017 Under 40 Hot List
- Valassis, a MacAndrews & Forbes company, as plaintiff in litigation against News Corp. and its subsidiaries alleging federal and state antitrust violations, unfair competition, and tortious interference.
- Visa in antitrust litigation with some of the largest retailers in the U.S. and class litigation concerning DraftKings and FanDuel.
- Holders of defaulted Argentine debt as settling plaintiffs in the Southern District of New York and the Second Circuit, in support of the Republic of Argentina’s contested effort to lift the pari passu injunction that our clients and other “holdout” bondholders had obtained against Argentina.
- Holders of debt issued by the Democratic Republic of Congo, in post-judgment proceedings.
- Assisting Judge Holwell in his current role as an independent monitor appointed by a major financial institution under an agreement between the institution and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Republic of Uzbekistan in forfeiture proceedings brought by the U.S. Department of Justice in the Southern District of New York seeking the recovery of approximately $1 billion.
- XPO Logistics, Inc. in litigation with Elliott Management arising from XPO’s acquisition of Norbert Dentressangle, S.A.
- Promontory Financial Group in connection with an investigation by the New York Department of Financial Services.
- Hewlett-Packard Co. in securities-fraud, derivative, and ERISA litigation arising out of multi-billion-dollar write-down of its acquisition of Autonomy Corporation plc.
- Multiple public companies and their directors in shareholder litigation related to M&A transactions, including NYSE Euronext, Saks, and Sunoco, in both state and federal court.
- Forest Laboratories in litigation in the Delaware Court of Chancery arising from a proxy contest mounted by Carl Icahn.
- Tory Burch and Tory Burch LLC in litigation with J. Christopher Burch and C. Wonder LLC in the Delaware Court of Chancery.
- Vulcan Materials Co. in expedited trial seeking and obtaining injunction barring hostile acquisition in the Delaware Court of Chancery, and on expedited appeal affirming judgment.
- JPMorgan Chase in litigation arising from the bankruptcies of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and Lehman Brothers, Inc.
- Airgas, Inc. in litigation with Air Products & Chemicals, Inc. in the Delaware Court of Chancery over Airgas’s deployment of a poison pill.
- A Swiss bank in connection with the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC.
- Public companies, including a major financial institution, in various proceedings commenced by state attorneys general, including multistate investigations, arbitrations, settlement negotiations, and litigation matters.
News and Writings
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg Represents Bipartisan Group of Legislators in United Call for Supreme Court to End Political Gerrymandering09.06.2017
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg and ACLU File Discrimination Charges Against Frontier Airlines on Behalf of Female Flight Attendants05.16.2017
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg Reunites Syrian Family After Successful Challenge to President Trump’s Travel Ban04.28.2017
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg Marks Fifth Anniversary with Major Financial Commitment to Pro Bono Partner Her Justice04.26.2017
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg and ACLU File Discrimination Charges Against Frontier Airlines on Behalf of Female Pilots05.10.2016
- The National Law Journal Profiles Holwell Shuster & Goldberg Associates and Former Supreme Court Clerks Vincent Levy, Daniel Sullivan07.24.2015
- Hon. Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Supreme Court of the United States, 2009 – 2010
- Hon. Douglas H. Ginsburg, U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, 2007 – 2008
Columbia Law School (J.D., 2007; John Ordronaux Prize; David M. Berger Memorial Prize; James Kent Scholar 2004-07; Editor-in-chief, Columbia Journal of Transnational Law; Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, best oralist in 2006 championship round and member of 2006 world championship team)
London School of Economics and Political Science (M.Sc. with distinction in Econometrics and Mathematical Economics, 2004)
Harvard College (A.B., Social Studies, magna cum laude, 2000)
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Supreme Court