Holwell Shuster & Goldberg represents clients initiating or defending high-stakes litigation involving patents, copyright, trademarks, trade secrets, and other forms of intellectual property. As our lawyers do in all of our litigation matters, HSG’s intellectual property lawyers excel at making complex issues understandable to judges and juries.
Our intellectual property attorneys regularly represent clients in federal district courts, federal appellate courts including the Federal Circuit, the United States International Trade Commission, and the new Inter Partes Review proceedings before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. Experienced in an array of high-value intellectual property litigation, our attorneys are particularly active in the telecommunications, microprocessor, automobile, large-molecule biologics, medical device, and broadcast industries. Indeed, we are currently involved with issues ranging from the stable expression of short hairpin RNA to attenuate gene expression, to hydraulic cam phasers, to integrated circuit chips for near field communication. HSG attorneys are also regularly involved in groundbreaking cases outside the patent area, such as their representation of LimeWire in copyright infringement litigation.
Beyond our litigation services, HSG’s intellectual property lawyers also assist clients with complex intellectual property licensing issues and related technology-transfer matters. To each of our engagements, we bring the analytical mindset, strategic perspective, negotiating skills, and courtroom abilities necessary to get our clients the best results for their businesses.
- Melchior v. Hilite International, Inc.: Currently representing Hilite International as lead trial counsel in defense of a claim for patent infringement relating to hydraulic cam phasers used in Chrysler Pentastar engines.
- EIG v. Cowen and Company: Currently representing Cowen and Company as lead trial counsel in defense of a claim of copyright infringement.
- NXP B.V. et al. v. Dell Inc.: Represented NXP as lead trial counsel in an ITC proceeding brought against Dell for infringement of patents relating to near-field communication.
- Microban Products Company v. API Industries, Inc.: Lead trial counsel for plaintiff Microban in securing quick summary judgment victory and attorney’s fees in trademark infringement case in the Southern District of New York.
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory v. Ropes & Gray LLP et al.: Brought in late as lead trial counsel in landmark patent malpractice case that settled very favorably for the laboratory two days before jury selection.
- The Swatch Group Management Services Ltd. v. Bloomberg L.P.: Lead trial counsel for Bloomberg News in defending landmark copyright infringement case in which the Second Circuit affirmed summary judgment of no liability under the fair use doctrine.
- ARRIS Group, Inc. v. British Telecommunications PLC and Arkema Inc. v. Honeywell International Inc.: Lead trial counsel for ARRIS and Arkema in two separate and successful appeals to the Federal Circuit reversing the lower courts and granting plaintiffs’ declaratory judgment motion.
- U.S. Philips Corp. v. Iwasaki Electric Co. Ltd.: Lead trial counsel for plaintiff Philips Electronics in $60 million jury verdict for patent infringement in the Southern District of New York. Case settled very favorably two days after oral arguments before the Federal Circuit.