Last Updated: September 13, 2016
We very much welcome your interest in Holwell Shuster & Goldberg LLP (“we” or “us”). Please be advised, however, that visiting this site and/or sending an electronic communication to us through the site does not alone create an attorney-client relationship with us. Any information sent to us via email or through this site is not secure; information you send may not be kept confidential.
This site is not intended to provide and should not be construed as legal advice for any purpose. This site is intended to provide only general information; information on this site may not be complete or up-to-date and is not intended as a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified or authorized person. Please do not take or refrain from taking any action based on information on this site without first consulting appropriate counsel. We expressly disclaim all liability based on the contents of this site.
Please read this Policy carefully. By using the Site, you are acknowledging that you understand and agree to the terms of this Policy, and consent to the manner in which we may collect, use, and disclose the information addressed in this Policy. If you do not agree to the terms of this Policy, please do not use the Site.
We reserve the right to change the provisions of this Policy at any time. We will alert you when material changes have been made by indicating on the Policy the date it was updated. We encourage you to review this Policy from time to time to make sure that you understand how any Personal Information (as defined below) you provide will be used. Your continued use of the Site following the posting of changes to these terms will mean you accept those changes.
This Policy applies solely to information collected by and/or through the Site. It will notify you of the following:
- What Information Do We Collect?
- How Do We Use Your Information?
- Do We Share Your Information?
- Your Privacy Rights—Access to and Control Over Information
- How to Opt-Out of Targeted Advertising
- Does This Policy Apply to Other Websites Linked to or from the Site?
- Do We Collect Information from Children Under the Age of 13?
- What Steps Do We Take to Protect Your Information?
- Personal Information You Provide to Us—We only have access to and collect personal information (such as your name, date of birth, social security number, credit card number, mailing or billing address, telephone number, or email address, and email preferences (collectively, “Personal Information”)) that you voluntarily give us via email or other direct contact from you.
- Information Collected by Automated Means—Whenever you use the Site, we, as well as any of our third-party advertisers and/or service providers, may use a variety of technologies that automatically collect information about how the Site is accessed and used (“Usage Information”). Usage Information may include, in part, browser type, operating system, the page served, the time, how many users visited the Site, and the website you visited immediately before the Site. This statistical data provides us with information about the use of the Site, such as how many visitors visit a specific page on the Site, how long they stay on that page, and which hyperlinks, if any, they “click” on. Usage Information helps us to keep the Site fresh and interesting to our visitors and to tailor content to a visitor's interests. Usage Information is generally non-identifying, but if we associate it with you as a specific and identifiable person, we treat it as Personal Information.
- Device Identifiers—In the course of collecting Usage Information we may also collect your IP address, MAC Address, or other unique identifier (each a “Device Identifier”) for the computer, mobile device, Wi-Fi card, or other technology (collectively, “Device”) you use to access the Site. A Device Identifier is a number that is automatically assigned to your Device when you access a web site or its servers. Our computers identify your Device by its Device Identifier. When you visit the Site, we may view your Device Identifier. We may use this information to identify repeat visitors to our Site. We also may use this information to send you targeted advertisements and to enhance the Site. We may associate your Device Identifier with your Personal Information.
The technologies used on the Site, including Device Identifiers, to collect Usage Information may include, without limitation:
- Web Beacons—We may also include web beacons (also known as web bugs, Internet tags, pixel tags, tracking pixels, and clear GIFs) with the content and ads that we deliver to you, which we will use to collect information regarding your interaction with our content and ads. A web beacon is a transparent graphic image placed on a web page or in an email, which indicates that a page or email has been viewed or that an email has been forwarded. In addition, a web beacon allows third parties to obtain information such as the IP address of the computer that downloaded the page on which the beacon appears, the URL of the page on which the beacon appears, the time the page containing the beacon was viewed, the type of browser used to view the page, and the information in cookies set by the third party. A web beacon may also tell your browser to get content from another server.
Cookies and web beacons may enable us to track and target the interests of our users to enhance the experience on our Site, track user actions/behavior on our Site, and track the effectiveness of ads.
We may use products, including Google Analytics and/or Piwik Analytics, to analyze activity on our Site. We may use Google Analytics and/or Piwik Analytics to understand how users use our Site so as to enhance the user experience on our Site. If you wish to opt-out of Google Analytics, go to https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en-GB.
We may use your information to respond to you regarding the reason you contacted us. Unless you ask us not to, we may also contact you via email or otherwise to tell you about new services, other developments, or changes to this Policy.
We will not trade, rent, or sell your Personal Information to third parties, unless you ask or authorize us to do so. However, our third-party service providers may have access to Personal Information.
Unless you ask or provide your consent to do so, we will not share your Personal Information with any third party outside of our organization, other than with our service providers. Only employees who need the Personal Information to perform a specific job (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to Personal Information. The computers/servers in which we store Personal Information are kept in a secure environment.
We may share aggregated demographic information with our partners and advertisers. This is not linked to any Personal Information that can identify any individual person.
We will disclose Personal Information when we believe in good faith that such disclosures (a) are required by law, including, for example, to comply with a court order or subpoena, or (b) will help to: enforce our policies; protect your safety or security, including the safety and security of property that belongs to you; and/or, protect the safety and security of our Site or third parties. In addition, if Holwell Shuster & Goldberg LLP or all of its assets are acquired, data collected by us through the Site and through other means and services provided by us may be among the transferred assets. Likewise, in the event we undergo another type of business transition (such as a reorganization, merger, or acquisition), we may transfer your Personal Information and/or other information collected on the Site to the successor business or organization.
We offer you choices regarding the collection, use, and sharing of your Personal Information. If you receive promotional communications from us, you may indicate a preference to stop receiving further promotional communications from us and you will have the opportunity to “opt-out” by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in the promotional email you receive or by contacting us directly at the email address or phone number given on our Site. We do not charge for this service, and your opt-out request will be processed within 30 days of the date on which we receive it.
How to Opt-Out of Targeted Advertising
You can set most web browsers to notify you if you receive a cookie, or you may choose to block cookies, though either of those actions may affect the use of our Site. If you prefer to not receive targeted advertising, you can opt out of some network advertising programs that use your information. To do so please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) Opt-Out Page: http://www.aboutads.info/choices/. Please note that even if you choose to remove your information (via opting out), you will still see advertisements while you are browsing online. However, the advertisements you see may be less relevant to you and your interests. Additionally, many network advertising programs allow you to view and manage the interest categories they have compiled from your online browsing activities. These interest categories help determine the types of targeted advertisements you may receive. The DAA Opt-Out Page provides a tool that identifies its member companies that have cookies on your browser and provides links to those companies’ pages where you can opt-out of receiving targeted advertisements from companies.
The Site is not intended for use by children under the age of 13, and Holwell Shuster & Goldberg LLP does not knowingly collect or use any Personal Information from such children. If we become aware that we have unknowingly collected Personal Information from a child under the age of 13, we will make commercially reasonable efforts to delete such Personal Information from our database.
We take measures designed to protect your Personal Information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. We provide physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect Personal Information we process and maintain. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse. We do not currently encrypt any transmissions to or from the Site, including email sent via the website, in any manner. If you are uncomfortable with such unencrypted transmissions, please do not submit information to us via the Site.
This Policy and the privacy practices of Holwell Shuster & Goldberg LLP will be subject exclusively to the laws of the State of New York in the United States. Holwell Shuster & Goldberg LLP makes no representation that this Policy and our practices comply with the laws of any other country or jurisdiction. Users of the Site who reside outside the United States do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws, if and to the extent local laws are applicable. If you reside outside of the United States, by using the Site, you consent to the transfer, processing, and use of your information outside your country.
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us at 425 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10017 or (646) 837-5151.