Jonathan Schaffer-Goddard is an experienced trial lawyer with particular experience in international litigation and arbitration involving high-value infrastructure, shipping, insurance, technology and luxury assets disputes. Jonathan has conducted over 150 trials and hearings as first or second chair and has significant experience dealing with large quantities of expert evidence and complex factual disputes. Prior to joining Holwell Shuster & Goldberg, Jonathan practiced as a barrister at 4 Pump Court Chambers in London, where he remains a member.
Jonathan completed his LLM at New York University School of Law, graduating with the law school’s prize for international litigation and arbitration. He served as a graduate editor of the Journal of International Law and Politics, the Vis Moot chair of the NYU International Arbitration Association and as a research assistant to Professor Linda Silberman.
Jonathan is a member of the International Committee of the Inner Temple, and is committed to deepening ties between the US and English legal systems.
Jonathan is admitted to practice in New York as well as England and Wales.
- A $1 billion ICC arbitration, relating to a “giga-project” in the Middle East.
- Ristorante Ltd v Zurich Insurance, the leading U.K. decision on material non-disclosure and waiver under English insurance law.
- An $80 million charterparty dispute.
- A seven-figure agency dispute arising out of the private treaty sale of a classic car.
- A multi-million pound ad hoc insurance coverage arbitration.
- A Portuguese-held company in a commercial dispute with the Republic of Angola and GE, in the Southern District of New York and international-arbitration proceedings under the LCIA and ICC Rules, concerning the termination of contracts worth more than $1 billion and seizure of property.
- Various affiliates of Chubb in nationwide litigation with manufacturers and distributors of opioids, and national pharmacy chains that sold opioids, over insurance coverage for over 3,000 lawsuits brought by governmental entities across the country. HSG is national trial counsel to Chubb in opioid coverage litigation.
New York University School of Law (LL.M., 2022; Starr Foundation Global Scholarship; Graduate Editor, Journal of International Law and Politics; International Business Regulation, Litigation and Arbitration Award; Vis Moot Chair, NYU International Arbitration Association)
BPP Law School (BPTC, 2017; Princess Royal Scholarship, Inner Temple; UK Team, Commonwealth Mooting Competition)
Oxford Brookes Law School (G.D.L., 2016; Major Scholarship, Inner Temple; Winner, ESU/Essex Court Mooting Competition; Winner, Inner Temple Inter-Varsity Mooting Competition; Winner, Oxford Inter-Varsity Moot)
University of Oxford, Brasenose College (B.A., 2014)
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
- England & Wales