Holwell Shuster & Goldberg represents clients initiating or defending high-stakes litigation involving patents, copyright, trademarks, trade secrets, and other forms of intellectual property. As our lawyers do in all of our litigation matters, HSG’s intellectual property lawyers excel at making complex issues understandable to judges and juries and have the experience and willingness to represent clients as both plaintiff and defendant. Experienced in an array of high-value intellectual property litigation, our attorneys have been particularly active in the telecommunications, microprocessor, automobile, large-molecule biologics, medical device, and broadcast industries. HSG attorneys are also regularly involved in groundbreaking cases outside the patent area, such as their representation of LimeWire in copyright infringement litigation.
- Zunum Aero, Inc., a hybrid electric aircraft startup, on trade secret, patent, contract and tort claims against Boeing.
- EDO, Inc., an advertising analytics firm, in litigation with iSpot alleging trade secret and breach of contract claims.
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc. (an Indian pharmaceutical company) in AAA/ICDR arbitration involving a dispute over royalties under a sublicense agreement for the intellectual property to a cancer-treating drug.
- Hilite International as lead trial counsel and appellate counsel in defense of a claim for patent infringement relating to hydraulic cam phasers used in Chrysler Pentastar engines. Obtained reversal of trial judgment against client on the ground that the patent at issue was invalid.
- Cowen and Company as lead trial counsel in defense of a claim of copyright infringement.
- Leading research institution as intellectual property counsel in its monetization of a portion of its worldwide royalty interests in the first treatment for a rare neuromuscular disorder approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- Lime Group, LimeWire, and their founder in copyright infringement actions.
- NXP as lead trial counsel in an ITC proceeding brought against Dell for infringement of patents relating to near-field communication.
- EMR (USA Holdings) Inc., the US branch of a global scrap metal recycling business, in cases in New York and Texas alleging the misuse of confidential, proprietary and trade secret information by former officers and directors of its Texas-based operations, in violation of common law and contractual obligations.
- Insurance company in trade-secret litigation involving commercial-aircraft financing.
- Investment firm assessing trade-secret liability of potential investment target.
- Microban as lead trial counsel in securing quick summary judgment victory and attorney’s fees in a trademark infringement case in the Southern District of New York.
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in action involving malpractice that impeded the timely issuance of patents on short-hairpin RNAs, which are utilized to attenuate gene expression and help to identify new drug targets and therapies for cancer.
- A Belgian flooring company and its U.S. affiliate in a patent infringement lawsuit; successfully obtained stay of litigation pending a related arbitral proceeding in Switzerland regarding the validity of a sublicense to use the patents-in-suit, resulting in the plaintiff dropping the suit in its entirety.
- Sharp, AT&T, and T-Mobile in high-value patent litigations involving a variety of subject matter, including liquid crystal cell display technology and cell phone roaming solutions.
- Karen Sebaski Quoted Extensively on Supreme Court’s Oral Arguments in Return Mail Inc. v. U.S. Postal Service02.21.2019