Jayme Jonat represents clients in high-stakes commercial litigations, often touching on securities- and antitrust-related issues. She has been involved in numerous large-scale litigation efforts that, in addition to their considerable monetary stakes, have tested new legal theories and affected business practices across entire industries.
Jayme has significant experience in class actions, having defended global financial institutions against class claims of securities fraud, as well as Visa against class and individual antitrust claims brought by many of the world’s largest retailers. She has also devoted substantial time to managing internal investigations for financial institutions and other clients.
Given the size of her clients and the scope of their business activities, many of her matters have international components. In addition to advising on FCPA matters, Jayme has litigated multiple disputes arising from corporate transactions with cross-border implications.
Equally comfortable representing plaintiffs and defendants, she has led multiple boundary-pushing cases. Her critical work in a Cost of Insurance case placed her at the forefront of a new wave of litigation against the life insurance industry. She also represents female pilots and flight attendants of Frontier Airlines in a cutting-edge workplace discrimination case, alleging that the airline’s policies toward pregnant and breast-feeding employees violate the Civil Rights Act.
That civil rights action is just one component of Jayme’s active pro bono practice. She has contributed her time to a number of diverse civil and criminal matters, including the successful appeal of a client’s felony conviction that resulted in his release from state prison.
Jayme was named to Profiles in Diversity Journal’s 2018 Women Worth Watching list. Prior to joining Holwell Shuster & Goldberg, she was a litigation associate at Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP and clerked for the Honorable Arthur D. Spatt of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
- Affiliates of the government-owned investment fund AIMCo, and Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., as securities intermediary, in a $200 million litigation in the Southern District of New York against AXA Equitable Life Insurance Company arising out of AXA’s improper Cost of Insurance rate increase on a certain group of universal life insurance policies.
- Visa Inc. and its subsidiaries in various matters, including their defense against class and individual antitrust actions brought by virtually every merchant in the United States and alleging hundreds of billions in damages.
- French industrial company Alstom in litigation against GE concerning the most significant French M&A transaction of 2014.
- XPO Logistics, Inc. in litigation with Elliot Management arising from XPO’s acquisition of Norbert Dentressangle, S.A.
- Assisting Judge Holwell in his current role as an independent monitor appointed by a major financial institution under an agreement between the institution and the U.S. Securities Exchange Commission.
News and Writings
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg Named a National Tier 1 Firm for Commercial Litigation and a Top Boutique by Benchmark Litigation10.01.2020
- Dorit Ungar Black and Jayme Jonat Recognized on Euromoney’s 2020 Women in Business Law Awards Shortlist07.29.2020
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg and ACLU File Groundbreaking Claims of Systemic Discrimination Against Pregnant and Breastfeeding Employees in the Airline Industry12.10.2019
- Profiles in Diversity Journal Names Eileen Monaghan DeLucia, Karen Sebaski, and Jayme Jonat to 2018 Women Worth Watching List07.19.2018
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg and ACLU File Discrimination Charges Against Frontier Airlines on Behalf of Female Flight Attendants05.16.2017
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg and ACLU File Discrimination Charges Against Frontier Airlines on Behalf of Female Pilots05.10.2016
- “Ending the Widow Penalty: Why Are Surviving Alien Spouses of Deceased Citizens Being Deported?” Fordham Law Review (77 Fordham L. Rev. 1873 (2009))
- Hon. Arthur D. Spatt, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 2011 – 2013
Fordham University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2010, Order of the Coif; Writing and Research Editor, Fordham Law Review)
Cornell University (B.S., 2007)
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York