Matthew Gurgel has represented financial institutions, multinational corporations, and individuals in a wide array of complex commercial litigation and enforcement matters. He has extensive experience representing clients in bankruptcy litigation and in stockholder suits arising from mergers and acquisitions, and has argued before federal district and bankruptcy courts in New York and Delaware. His matters have included contract disputes, copyright, fraud, and securities law claims, and advising clients in response to regulatory investigations. Matt’s pro bono work has involved assisting clients in Federal Tort Claims Act and veterans benefit-related matters.
Prior to joining Holwell Shuster & Goldberg, Matt was an associate at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton and clerked for the Hon. Debra Ann Livingston of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Before beginning his legal career, Matt served aboard four ships as a surface warfare officer and nuclear engineer in the United States Navy.
- U.S. affiliates of a multinational telecommunications company in several bankruptcy-related matters, including litigation culminating in parallel, six-week cross-border trials to resolve inter-estate claims to billions of dollars in liquidation proceeds; defense against copyright, contract, and trade secrets claims; and litigation of an advertising contract dispute with a professional sports franchise.
- An international financial institution in defendant class action arising from the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers, achieving dismissal of all claims.
- A national variety store chain in stockholder litigation resulting from pending merger transaction, defending decision of board of directors to reject nominally higher bid due to antitrust concerns.
- A major financial institution in litigation stemming from foreign exchange trading scandal at one of the institution’s clients.
News and Writings
- “M&A Litigation," The Mergers & Acquisitions Review (9th ed. 2015) (co-authored with Mitchell A. Lowenthal and Roger A. Cooper)
- Hon. Debra Ann Livingston, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2009 – 2010
Columbia University School of Law (J.D., 2009; James Kent Scholar, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar; Executive Articles Editor, Columbia Law Review; Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition)
Naval Postgraduate School (M.A. with distinction in National Security Affairs, 2001)
Harvard College (A.B., Government; cum laude, 1994)
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York