Brendon DeMay advises finance, technology, retail, and media clients in contractual, securities, and antitrust matters in federal and state court litigation and arbitrations. He also has significant experience in private litigation and government investigations into insider trading and securities fraud. He currently represents investors and bank trustees in RMBS repurchase litigations and serves as plaintiffs’ liaison counsel in dozens of coordinated actions. Brendon recently briefed, argued, and won an appeal in two RMBS matters, obtaining a reversal of the trial court’s dismissal and reviving claims worth hundreds of millions of dollars. As a member of the trial team in the Lehman Brothers RMBS bankruptcy dispute, he helped obtain a $2.4 billion verdict for investors. He also represented PetSmart in a covenants dispute with lenders regarding $8 billion in debt obligations. In his past pro bono work, he has represented indigent parties in appellate, housing, and family law matters. He has been recognized as a top litigator under 40 by Benchmark Litigation.
Prior to joining Holwell Shuster & Goldberg, Brendon was a litigation associate at Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP and clerked for Chief Judge Vaughn R. Walker of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. Before becoming a lawyer, Brendon appeared in numerous professional productions as an actor and was nominated for a Joseph Jefferson Citation for Best Actor.
- Served as Managing Editor of The Georgetown Law Journal
- Named to Benchmark Litigation's 2017 Under 40 Hot List
- IBM in federal antitrust investigation, M&A litigation, and multi-billion-dollar arbitration.
- Investors and bank trustees in residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) repurchase litigations.
- PetSmart in a covenants dispute with lenders regarding $8 billion in debt obligations.
- Visa Inc. in indemnification dispute in connection with antitrust investigations and related litigation in Europe.
- Global banks in RMBS fraud litigation and CDO bankruptcy proceedings.
- National retailer in private lawsuits and criminal and civil investigations by the United States Attorney, SEC, and NYSE related to insider trading and securities fraud.
- Major bookseller in antitrust investigations by the Department of Justice and state attorneys general relating to e-books, as well as antitrust and patent litigation over e-reader technology.
- Major pharmaceutical company in litigations alleging violations of Section 1 of the Sherman Act.
- Large chipmaker in patent litigation against a top rival.
- Large health care companies in defeating various M&A shareholder litigations.
News and Writings
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg Honored by Benchmark Litigation as a National Tier 1 Firm and Top Boutique10.06.2021
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg Named a National Tier 1 Firm for Commercial Litigation and a Top Boutique by Benchmark Litigation10.01.2020
- Firm Again Recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a Top 10 Boutique and a Highly Recommended Commercial Litigation Firm in New York09.26.2019
- Brendon DeMay and Priyanka Timblo Participate in ACC Webcast on Limiting Exposure When Negotiating Class Action Settlement Agreements: Blow-Up Provisions04.25.2018
- Benchmark Litigation Recognizes Holwell Shuster & Goldberg as a Top Boutique and a Highly Recommended Firm for Commercial Litigation10.11.2017
- Hon. Vaughn R. Walker, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, 2007 – 2008
Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., magna cum laude, 2007; Managing Editor, The Georgetown Law Journal)
Harvard University (A.B., magna cum laude, 2003)
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York