Scott Danner’s practice focuses on complex commercial, shareholder, and derivative litigation in federal and state courts. He has also conducted internal investigations for leading public companies and defended individual and corporate clients in criminal and regulatory proceedings. Scott’s previous engagements include reinsurance disputes, securities-related matters, fiduciary duty claims, bankruptcy litigation, and white collar defense. Scott has extensive experience representing clients in New York appellate courts, including numerous successful appeals to the New York Court of Appeals and the Appellate Division, First Department. Scott is actively involved in HSG’s pro bono practice, and regularly represents indigent criminal defendants on appeal.
Prior to joining Holwell Shuster & Goldberg, Scott was a litigation associate with Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz. Scott graduated summa cum laude from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, where he was awarded the Felix Frankfurter Prize, the school’s highest discretionary academic honor. Following law school, Scott served as a law clerk to the Honorable Colleen McMahon of the Southern District of New York and the Honorable Robert S. Smith of the New York Court of Appeals, New York’s highest court.
- A major financial institution in federal and state court litigation arising from the collapse of the Madoff Ponzi scheme; successfully defended separate putative class and mass actions alleging federal securities and state law claims.
- A reinsurer in a long-running dispute over a $200 million reinsurance cession, resulting in a landmark reinsurance decision from the New York Court of Appeals.
- An international closed-end investment fund and its principals in response to Investment Advisers Act and derivative claims brought by a large hedge fund shareholder.
- A global private equity firm in Bankruptcy Court proceedings initiated by creditors of an insolvent portfolio company.
- Several public companies and their directors in multi-jurisdictional shareholder litigation related to M&A transactions, including NYSE Euronext and Astoria Financial Corp.
News and Writings
- Hon. Colleen McMahon, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2011 – 2012
- Hon. Robert S. Smith, New York State Court of Appeals, 2009 – 2011
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 2009; Felix Frankfurter Prize; Notes Editor, Cardozo Law Review)
Cornell University (B.A., 2005; Phi Beta Kappa)
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York