Demian A. Ordway
Demian Ordway represents clients in complex commercial disputes, including large multidistrict litigation coordinating dozens of related actions, and in criminal and civil investigations by the Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission. He has substantial experience with the payments industry and structured finance, but has also litigated a wide array of actions brought under federal and state antitrust law, federal securities law and regulation, the Bankruptcy Code, state corporate law, state contract and tort law, and the Copyright Act. Demian has represented hedge funds, large financial institutions, trustees, and Fortune 500 companies in both state and federal court.
Demian has contributed pro bono service to clients such as the Center for Reproductive Rights and Brennan Center for Justice, including helping draft an amicus brief in the Supreme Court voting rights case of Crawford v. Marion County Election Bd. that was cited by both the majority and dissenting opinions.
Prior to joining Holwell Shuster & Goldberg, Demian was a litigation associate at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP and clerked for Judge Richard J. Holwell in the Southern District of New York and Judge M. Blane Michael in the Fourth Circuit.
- Visa Inc. and its subsidiaries in various matters, including its defense against dozens of antitrust actions brought by hundreds of merchants who have opted out of a multibillion-dollar class settlement.
- Collineo Asset Management GmbH in connection with its defense of a $160 million contract action.
- Cowen and Company LLC in connection with its defense of an action alleging copyright infringement.
- Bank trustees as plaintiffs in several RMBS putback actions.
- A large hedge fund in RMBS matters, including settlement negotiations and litigation strategy.
- A major pharmaceutical company in connection with federal and state civil actions and a federal criminal investigation surrounding the “off-label” promotion of a prescription drug.
- Several major financial institutions in their defense against securities and common law fraud actions.
- A major financial institution in an arbitration of a significant investor dispute.
News and Writings
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg Recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a National Tier 1 Firm and Top Boutique10.04.2022
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg Honored by Benchmark Litigation as a National Tier 1 Firm and Top Boutique10.06.2021
- Holwell Shuster & Goldberg Named a National Tier 1 Firm for Commercial Litigation and a Top Boutique by Benchmark Litigation10.01.2020
- Firm Again Recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a Top 10 Boutique and a Highly Recommended Commercial Litigation Firm in New York09.26.2019
- Benchmark Litigation Recognizes Holwell Shuster & Goldberg as a Top Boutique and a Highly Recommended Firm for Commercial Litigation10.11.2017
- Hon. M. Blane Michael, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2009 – 2010
- Hon. Richard J. Holwell, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2008 – 2009
New York University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2007; Articles Editor, New York University Law Review; Order of the Coif)
Columbia University (M.A., Philosophy, 2002)
Harvard University (A.B., Mathematics, cum laude, 1999)
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York