Avi Israeli’s practice focuses on complex commercial disputes involving a wide range of legal issues. He represents corporate, financial, and individual clients in matters concerning commercial contracts, financial instruments, business torts, bankruptcy, and intellectual property, in federal and state court litigation and arbitrations.
Avi has played a prominent role in several of the firm’s notable engagements, including the prosecution of a multitude of “putback” actions seeking to recoup billions of dollars in losses sustained by major financial institutions in connection with the residential mortgage crisis. He also has substantial experience advising and representing clients in copyright, trademark, and trade secret cases in various industries.
Avi has been recognized as a Future Star in the 2016 Benchmark Litigation Guide and was named to Benchmark’s first-ever Under 40 Hot List, which recognizes partners 40 or younger who are emerging leaders within their firms. Avi was also named a Rising Star in the 2014 and 2015 editions of New York Metro Super Lawyers, and was recently
recognized as a Super Lawyer in the 2016 edition.
Prior to joining Holwell Shuster & Goldberg, Avi was a litigation associate at Jones Day and at Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman, and clerked for the Honorable Marcia G. Cooke of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- Several bank trustees in RMBS repurchase litigations, each with hundreds of millions of dollars at issue, arising out of the 2008 financial crisis.
- Facebook co-founder in actions related to a dispute with an investment advisor and various guarantors arising out of investments in Facebook.
- Camulos Capital, a U.S. hedge fund, in a variety of disputes, including those with a German gun manufacturer over a €100 million PIK loan, a departing partner with respect to his claim to amounts allegedly owed under the fund’s partnership agreement, and a German subsidiary of Lehman Brothers over a $100 million repo agreement.
- Microban Products Company in securing summary judgment awarding monetary damages and attorney’s fees, and granting a permanent injunction, in connection with trademark enforcement action brought in the Southern District of New York.
- Lime Group, LimeWire, and their founder in copyright infringement actions.
- Various companies in the Eurofins group, a publicly traded French conglomerate whose subsidiaries are engaged in, among other things, the biotechnology industry. Avi has represented Eurofins entities in disputes arising out of certain acquisitions and investments in the U.S., as well as in connection with certain products liability related suits.
- Comcast Corporation in an antitrust class action brought by a putative class of two million subscribers.
- MEGA Brands, Inc., a Canadian toy manufacturer, in a series of litigations arising out of MEGA Brands’ acquisition of Rose Art Industries, Inc. The representation included litigation with the sellers for claims of fraud, breach of contract, and earnout calculations.
News and Writings
- Benchmark Litigation Names Holwell Shuster & Goldberg a Top 10 Boutique, Recognizes Six Partners in 2017 Guide10.19.2016
- “Escaping the Indirect Profits Loophole: Finding the Elusive Causal Link in the Case of Knowing Copyright Infringement,” Cardozo Law Review (25 Cardozo L. Rev. 2453 (2004))
- Hon. Marcia G. Cooke, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, 2006 – 2007
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2004; Articles Editor, Cardozo Law Review)
University of Arizona (B.A., cum laude, 2001)
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York